The congregation of “Grace United Brethren Church” (our original name) began in a house at 9 East South Street in Carlisle, the home of our first pastor, Rev. W. J. Houck. Started as a mission church, we were officially organized on May 10, 1893, with seventeen charter members.
The cornerstone for a new church building at 24 West South Street was laid in August of 1893. And by January 14, 1894, the first church building for the
Grace United Brethren Church congregation was dedicated. The congregation met there until 1921 (this original church building was later destroyed by fire).
In 1920, Grace Church began moving to the location of our present campus, with the laying of the cornerstone for a new Sunday School building and Chapel on the corner of West Pomfret and South West Streets. The new facility was completed and dedicated in 1921.
Beginning in 1929 and completed in 1930, a large sanctuary with a dome was added to the Sunday School building. Triple windows of stained glass now behind the altar in the sanctuary were original to the Sunday School building and relocated into the new sanctuary during construction.
In the 1960s, a major renovation of the existing buildings updated the property at 45 South West Street and added a Christian education wing. By this time the name of our Church had become “Grace Evangelical United Brethren Church”, through a merger of the United Brethren and Evangelical denominations. The attached property at 43 South West served as a parsonage at this time (later, offsite parsonages for our pastors were purchased). And, in 1968, with the merger of the Evangelical United Brethren and Methodist denominations, we finally received our current name of “Grace United Methodist Church.”
On October 28, 2001, we dedicated another major renovation and construction project that added our Multipurpose Room, Library, several Sunday school rooms, and a much needed elevator. And another adjoining building along South West Street was purchased in 2001.
From our beginnings as a mission church of seventeen members more than 100 years ago, we’ve remained in the center of Carlisle, worshipping and serving Christ, and ministering to the needs of people in our community, our nation and our world.